Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2021, 10:26 AM

Try posting something for sale yourself. Between the "PM Sent" comments that are usually a lowball offer and "Can't see the pictures" comments, you're lucky to sell anything ever on here.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner2010 View Post
Try posting something for sale yourself. Between the "PM Sent" comments that are usually a lowball offer and "Can't see the pictures" comments, you're lucky to sell anything ever on here.
Selling and buying here is super easy in my experience. As long as terms and description are specific then there are usually no issues. The only problems I’ve witnessed are when the they are vague or largely missing.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 06-19-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:00 PM

I prefer following the rule that the first “I’ll take it” gets it. “PM sent” does not count as “I'll take it”, but not all sellers follow this rule. It can be pretty annoying when you are the only person to post “I’ll take it” and the seller responds that you are second or third in line. however it is not the end of the world. Move on- you win some you lose some.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:47 AM

If you are using a specific method (first I'll take it or first PM), state that in the ad.

If the seller doesn't say anything, you have to guess.

If there are no instructions, I PM, then post that I PM'd.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
If you are using a specific method (first I'll take it or first PM)
I've learned that "first I'll take it gets it" is often not good enough either when you truly want to have a "First I'll take it" term of sale.

Because you will get "I'll take it pending pics" , or "I'll take it as long as it's x,y, or z" or "I'll take it pending an answer to my question" etc.

So essentially the "First I'll take it" rule without any other verbiage by the seller can be used by potential buyers as a place holder, or used to enable further tire kicking

That's why it's a good idea to specify that you are looking for an unconditional "I'll take it" to tie up those loose ends.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 06-23-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

As I stated there really are no rules and no one to run to if you feel you've been slighted. The seller is free to sell or not sell to whomever they want. If no loss of money we are forced to accept the whims of the seller.
There was a posting a few years ago for hand guards that was a smoking deal. I was the first to post "I'll Take It" with "PM To Follow". Another person posted they would take it a matter of seconds after me, with both postings being the same min. time. I PMed the seller within a couple(2) min. as I type slow. The seller responded that the other person won the hand guards as his PM was received before mine....WHAT????? I had no recourse. The "winning" poster saw my follow up posting on the thread about being shut out and agreed that I should have won these and was kind enough to sell them to me at the original price.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 AM

One item to consider:
CMP doesn't provide any selling tools or software (like eBay/GB), they provide a free forum, and allow selling with the very few rules and the disclaimer that they won't address any transaction complaints (much the same as many other discussion forums that also allow some sales).

As this is not auction or commerce software it must be done old school, by the seller contacting the buyer.
Personally I receive emails pretty quick, I do not get (nor do I want) an email notification of a PM, and as we all know, the PM boxes are pretty small so fill quickly when selling.
So, absent any seller statement such as "PM ONLY" or EMAIL ONLY" or PHONE CALL ONLY" we are at the mercy of the lord of the interweb, who I am pretty sure is in a call center (also selling car warranties) in a 3rd world country. It's common when selling to get one message before another that was actually sent first.

If you want a high tech, modern platform designed to be ultra efficient (and "fair") then use eBay or GB. That may be the best choice for some people.
If you use a typical discussion forum to buy/sell then I suggest we keep in mind the limitations, accept that it will be less than perfect if we choose to buy/sell, otherwise simply don't expose yourself to the stress and use an e-commerce site.

Amazon and eBay have spoiled us, we expect all commerce to work that efficiently. A bit of give and take plus remembering that we (on forums buying and selling) aren't e-commerce professionals is a good thing to keep in mind.
I have emailed/PMed for items and the seller didn't respond for a few days; I had moved on. Other times I was told the item had sold (yet no thread responses, no notice that it was sold 2 days ago), and other obstacles to by buying more stuff I don't need. In each case I was disappointed I didn't get my item,. and in each case the seller was pleasant, apologetic and sincere; so I lost no sleep and had no ill will for the seller. If they were rude, or didn't follow their own rules (said "1st I'll take it" wins, and I was 1st) I would call them out and move on. As a seller I once couldn't find the item to ship, begged forgiveness and refunded the buyer's money.
FYI, when they say "cross posted" or similar, all bets are off. Again, (imho) OK to do this, but some buyers may not like that and should pass on that sale.
I assume those I do business with on forums are enthusiast like me and so far that has been true, maybe some consider it a part of their regular income, I don't care. I generally see slightly less than perfection (as expected) and very friendly commerce so to me that is a win; to others it's simply not worth the hassle.

Happy Wednesday

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-23-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob loughlin View Post
Not sure where to post this r . Bob

For future reference, there is a buyer/seller feedback section for these near the bottom.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:25 PM

I have in the past listed something for sale and a buyer email me, for what ever reason, my email server would send it to my spam folder. In the mean time I sold the item to someone else and people would complain that they emailed me 5 minutes after I posted and didn't get to buy it.

Or someone would PM me, want to lowball or trade and the next person says I will take it, so who gets it ?

I have sent PMs and never got a reply.

All part of using this forum , roll with it.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkjeep View Post
All part of using this forum , roll with it.
If the mods would just add the new subforum I keep requesting to the "Parts for Sale or Trade" section called "Safe Space", ahhhh, nevermind.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread