Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Round Two Service Grade

Just took possession of my round two service grade. Ithaca frame with a post war slide. Would have liked to have had a period correct slide, but it looks like it will be a good shooter! Fine piece of Americana! Canít wait to go try it out. Hereís a few photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajZ3fXdwyd87ZosG6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8RoXTRCCLzb3p1L26
Old 05-11-2021, 10:46 AM

Just the way it left Uncle Sam’s service!! Outstanding…enjoy!!
Old 05-11-2021, 12:00 PM

Default I love mine

I got a RR frame and TZ slide in the first round. Slightly disappointed, at first. I love shooting it and I am heading to the range in an hour to shoot it again. Enjoy yours.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:57 PM

Looks very nice! When they called what was the conversation like? Did they just ask what grade you wanted??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompma2929 View Post
Just took possession of my round two service grade. Ithaca frame with a post war slide. Would have liked to have had a period correct slide, but it looks like it will be a good shooter! Fine piece of Americana! Canít wait to go try it out. Hereís a few photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajZ3fXdwyd87ZosG6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8RoXTRCCLzb3p1L26
Old 05-11-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Looks very nice! When they called what was the conversation like? Did they just ask what grade you wanted??
I guess I was unprepared for the call, so shame on me. She called early one morning, like 8am, introduced herself, said I had been selected and asked me which grade I wanted. Only $200 difference in price so I figured I would take the best available. My only advice would be to look around and decide ahead of time which grade you want. Many of the rack and field grades I have seen posted look very nice also. And it doesnít hurt to make a request either from what I can see. The CMP says they canít do this and I understand why, but some folks requests seem to have been honored. Coincidence?
Old 05-11-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I guess I was unprepared for the call, so shame on me. She called early one morning, like 8am, introduced herself, said I had been selected and asked me which grade I wanted. Only $200 difference in price so I figured I would take the best available. My only advice would be to look around and decide ahead of time which grade you want. Many of the rack and field grades I have seen posted look very nice also. And it doesnít hurt to make a request either from what I can see. The CMP says they canít do this and I understand why, but some folks requests seem to have been honored. Coincidence?
Sounds good! Thanks
Old 05-11-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Only $200 difference in price so I figured I would take the best available. My only advice would be to look around and decide ahead of time which grade you want. Many of the rack and field grades I have seen posted look very nice also.
I strongly urge you, and everyone to read the grade descriptions.
Those words are the key as to how they are graded.
DO NOT read words into what CMP wrote.

Many people think that refinished pistols are in one grade; they may be in any of the 3. Many people think "original finish" pistols are in one grade; they may be in any of the 3.
CMP's grades are based on function and rust/pitting, NOT refinish, correct parts, rebuild, or matching slide/frame.

By no means am I criticizing CMPs grading or suggest you don't go with a service grade, but read what CMP has to say about the grades.
My (round 1) service grade pistol was not refinished. Many are.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 08:07 AM

When I received the call i wanted the service grade option and i requested if possible a RR slide/frame. I received a great 1944 RR slide and frame with a contract barrel.

My friend requested a service grade colt frame/slide and received that. I do believe they try to do what they can if possible. Neither of us were told they could or couldn't but only they would pass it along. The CMP are great folks for sure!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack8088 View Post
When I received the call i wanted the service grade option and i requested if possible a RR slide/frame. I received a great 1944 RR slide and frame with a contract barrel.

My friend requested a service grade colt frame/slide and received that. I do believe they try to do what they can if possible. Neither of us were told they could or couldn't but only they would pass it along. The CMP are great folks for sure!

I agree they are good people trying to do the best they can. My point in all this was to recommend people collect as much info as possible and be better prepared than I was. As I said, shame on me for not doing my homework ahead of time
Old 05-12-2021, 02:52 PM

Has anyone noticed if those getting Service grade Colts were they mainly manufactured around WWII?