Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawky View Post
Shoot it but leave a round in the mag so it doesn't lock back.
What is the reason for this ^^^?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2021, 02:21 PM

I was wondering this, as well. Sounds dangerous, but maybe I'm not understanding the point. At the risk of sounding sarcastic, they all seem to be coming with a slide lock/release ...... just my observation.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDrvr View Post
I recently picked up my Auction Colt 1911A1. I had planned on not shooting it; I have plenty of 1911ís, and the gun I picked up doesnít have a heat treated slide stop notch. I could easily buy a Tisas 1911A1 to get the experience of shooting a GI 1911.

That said; I want to shoot it now. Ha!

1. How many of you are shooting your CMP 1911ís?
2. Will the non-heat treated slide stop notch peen, or crack if shot?
3. Will value be affected by shooting the gun?
I don't think you need to do anything in order to shoot it. Consider that it has been in the Army inventory for years it hasn't suffered from not having a heat treated notch.

If you abuse it, yes it will affect the value. But remember, that it is not currently in an "unfired" condition. Second, it may have been rebuilt already so it doesn't even have its original finish.

It is a used pistol and may be a "parts gun" with different parts coming from different manufacturers. Mild use of the pistol will not adversely affect the value. Just don't wear it out again by shooting several hundred thousand rounds through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawky View Post
Shoot it but leave a round in the mag so it doesn't lock back.
Can't even be done. Firing automatically loads a round from the magazine.

So it will automatically load the 7th round when the 6th round is fired leaving the magazine empty.

Do you mean only load 6 rounds in the magazine with the slide closed so you don't "overstress" the magazine spring by loading 7? I've heard this argument before, but don't think it is true. People always load one in the chamber and insert a full magazine i.e. 7+1.

Last edited by Fenris_Bane; 05-08-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:41 PM

I've shot mine in every CMP as-issued 1911 match I could since I got it. D-Day, Talladega 600, Eastern Games. It's fun to be one of a few, or even the only one in the match, that is shooting an ACTUAL government 1911A1.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:23 PM

If i ever get my mits on one, you can be sure I'll be shooting it.

Josh
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM

I suspect what Hawky suggests is to save wear on the un heat treated slide stop notch.
It can be done by counting rounds and locking slide safety 'cocked and locked' early and switching mags before it locks back at the last round.
Necessary? I don't know.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:38 PM

Considering what ALL military surplus weapons go through in the hands of soldiers and sailors, especially in peacetime training, I find it highly entertaining that many people who purchase them act like they are made of porcelain. We drug them through mud, cleaned them when we HAD to, and really didn't care if our lives were going to depend on them. We were kids. So now people are worried about wearing out slide stops and making sure that you only clean from chamber to muzzle? Seriously?
Old 05-08-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
Shooting is the fun in owning them!! Have shot many times since I received it and will continue until I assume room temperature!!
Ditto. Saving for what? Doubt it will increase value. Shoot the pistol till the barrel falls off... that's what there made for.... thank you in advance: Junnie
Old 05-08-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0352 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, CMP test fires 1911's before they go out. So you might as well put a few rounds through it, you have to clean it anyway. I did put a Wolff Spring Service pack kit in mine, and saved the original springs it came with.
I like Wolff springs.... did this help??? can you tell any difference etc? I'm thinking about doing the same thing... I also intend to shoot the hell out of it. Danke....
Old 05-08-2021, 04:45 PM

The M1911 I bought privately is from 1919 with a 1912/13 slide. I have not shot it yet but I will, just so I can say I shot a 1911 that over 100 years old. It will not be shot a lot though. If the slide ended up cracking it would be quite heartbreaking. I have my 1991 Colt for running lots of boxes through.