Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2022, 05:13 PM

Default 1903 will not decock with thumb pressure

With thumb pressure applied to the knob on the firing pin rod while simultaneously pulling the trigger I cannot decock. It will dry fire like it should and when the bolt is installed in another rifle i can decock with thumb pressure. When another bolt is installed the problem is still there so it doesnít appear to be a bolt issue but a gun issue. Would this be a sear and spring issue? I did not see any obvious defects when i had it apart however I could have missed something. Any ideas would be appreciated
Old 06-20-2022, 05:23 PM

The problem is probably a trigger guard slot issue not letting the trigger come back all the way. But the problem may also be a sear issue. And less likely, it may also be a trigger issue. The spring is not likely an issue.

J.B.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:48 PM

Mr. Beard, thank you for answering. I just took the trigger guard out and tried it and it works like it should, i can decock like it should with the guard removed. When you say guard slot i am guessing you mean on the stock it’s self? How should I fix that? It is a replacement C stock if that’s helpful.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:08 PM

Decocking with the trigger guard removed is not a conclusive test to pinpoint the problem. You mention a replacement stock. If the stock trigger guard inletting at the rear is not deep enough, then the trigger guard will not fully seat and, thereby, block full rearward movement of the trigger.

A more conclusive test would be to remove the barreled action from the stock, attach the trigger guard, and see if it will decock.

J.B.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:18 PM

Fair enough, I will try that next. Thanks for your advice!!
Old 06-24-2022, 06:51 PM

** Update ** I tried two different stocks off of working rifles and I still had the problem. Then I swapped trigger guards and problem fixed. Oddly enough the rifle that I borrowed the guard from when I tried to un cock it it uncocked with thumb pressure like it is supposed to. I expected the malfunction to follow to the second rifle but it didnít. I can see differences in the manufacturing between the two guards but i do not know the maker of either. One has a transverse pin forward of the trigger slot and the other does not. Not sure what was wrong but I guess I fixed it.

Last edited by ARB; 06-24-2022 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Adding to
Old 06-25-2022, 11:53 AM

Which one fixed your issue? I think the guard with the cross pin was an early fix for a trigger issue.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinmich View Post
Which one fixed your issue? I think the guard with the cross pin was an early fix for a trigger issue.
The one without the pin fixed it. Maybe it fits in the stock better than the other?