Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2021, 10:57 AM

That is it. Thanks. I think I may have figured out the imgur process, but I will have to try it on a future post. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:28 PM

OK, thanks for the pic.
There is a difference between a hardness test and a punch mark.
A hardness test is done by a machine (it is not a guy withy a hammer and punch) and generally leaves a small mark with little to no cratering.
Keep in mind they generally are used to test surface hardness. They cannot be used to determine the strength or quality of heat treatment (like LN 1903s suffer from), but are still useful in many ways to determine various QC issues in metals, as well as firearms in particular.
A punch mark on the other hand is that, made by a guy with a punch. While they can be made with any amount of force the guy can give, they tend to be deliberately hit hard (they are after all intended to be seen), and depending on the tool and base metal, will often leave some cratering like seen in the pics.
The US military (factories as well as service armorers) has used punch marks to indicate various things, form proof fire completion to others.
It will be interesting to see what the experts can disclose on these; I don't recall discussion on 1917 marks.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 08-04-2021, 10:43 AM

While doing some general research on 1917's I came across this you tube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BngSnkckXH4

It depicts a Remington receiver S/N 524922 (approximate manufacture date of September 1918) having 3 punch marks similar to the ones on the 1917 that I own. I could Not determine whether or not the stock shown in the you tube video had had any rebuild marks. As stated in the original post the one I own does not show any rebuild marks. Food for thought.