Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2022, 04:00 PM

I haven't updated this thread in way too long.
I have been selling through my big pile 'o stocks but still have plenty.
How about this:
I will take a few requests. If there is some reasonable process you want me to use on a Garand stock let me know and I'll do it. Want to compare specific products? I'm up for that (especially if some of you vendors want to send me a sample of something I haven't used; I'll even read the directions, try it, document with pics for all to see, and give a critique).
Nothing too odd, I'm talking traditional oils (BLO/PTO/RLO/1/3 mix, etc.). Transmission fluid and 30 weight oil; no thanks.
I'm also up for various stains. I can use 2 or more on a stock to compare as well.

Here's a comparison I did a few months ago. I needed to stain some aircraft plywood before varnishing, and I had 4 colors of Minwax stain handy. So I made a test sample on both kinds of plywood I am using.

FWIW I used Minwax "Gunstock"; I do like the red tint.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:11 PM

Tried your method with the Purple power on an old stock this week. Worked very well. Thanks for your original post on it, and I also appreciate all of the other input posts.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRod321 View Post
Tried your method with the Purple power on an old stock this week. Worked very well. Thanks for your original post on it, and I also appreciate all of the other input posts.
Glad it worked for you sir.
To be clear, I learned of PP from another forum, so long ago I don't even remember!