Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2021, 09:31 AM

Default How do the Perry NM Relays Work- Can U Shoot 2 in AM?

I've attended regional Games events regularly and am used to signing up for specific relays by relay groups of two- for example 1/2, 2/3, etc. Usually shooting 2 relays in the AM or 2 in the PM is no problem. I was thinking about finally making the pilgrimage to Perry but see that the choices are by range (Viale or Rod) and only AM or PM- no specific relay group.

Assuming AM slots remain open for 2 different Games matches (e.g. Garand and Springfield), would I be able to compete in those 2 different matches the same day AM period? Likewise for two PM matches same day?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mountain; 05-31-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:35 PM

For the games matches relays 1-4 are AM. 5-8 are PM.
As an example if you are on relay 2 you will record scores for relay 1, then relay 1 will record scores for you. Relays 3&4 are in the pits pulling targets. Then pits change and relays 1 and 2 go to the pits and pull targets while relay 3& 4 shoot. The same process happens for the afternoon relays.
Therefore if you want to shoot 2 different matches it means all day.
Been there done that, got the t shirts.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
For the games matches relays 1-4 are AM. 5-8 are PM.
As an example if you are on relay 2 you will record scores for relay 1, then relay 1 will record scores for you. Relays 3&4 are in the pits pulling targets. Then pits change and relays 1 and 2 go to the pits and pull targets while relay 3& 4 shoot. The same process happens for the afternoon relays.
Therefore if you want to shoot 2 different matches it means all day.
Been there done that, got the t shirts.
Thanks and understood!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:53 PM

The difference between regional games and the National Matches today, is electronic target vs pits. You will be out there all day to shoot two 35 round matches. Welcome to the National Matches. Good Shooting. ....
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The difference between regional games and the National Matches today, is electronic target vs pits. You will be out there all day to shoot two 35 round matches. Welcome to the National Matches. Good Shooting. ....
Much appreciated. I am accustomed to pits for various matches but they typically rotate every relay. Clear that Perry events = shoot one relay each, AM and PM.

I prefer the electronic targets. Yes, it takes away some of the tradition but the scoring is virtually perfect and it provides for more trigger time. I'll bet it happens to everyone but occasionally I've had abysmal pit service. I like eliminating that factor too.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:10 AM

I would definitely sign up to shoot more matches if Perry had the e-targets. TMP is about 2.5x further than Camp Perry but next year Iíll probably substitute D-day for the NMs.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:45 PM

Hi Mountain,

Just to let you know the target frames are not balanced well at all!

I'm a older guy & I was huffing & puffing to mark targets & pull the frames up & down quickly! I saw two older fellows that just said, they were too pooped to shoot, even with a bit of rest after their turn in the pits!
Sometimes you can pay a young person to do your range duty.

Good LUCK in any event,
broom
Old 06-03-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Mountain,

Just to let you know the target frames are not balanced well at all!

I'm a older guy & I was huffing & puffing to mark targets & pull the frames up & down quickly! I saw two older fellows that just said, they were too pooped to shoot, even with a bit of rest after their turn in the pits!
Sometimes you can pay a young person to do your range duty.

Good LUCK in any event,
broom
Thanks- good to know. I pull targets a couple times every month. I'm no spring chicken but those frames are in pretty good shape. The ones at Camp Ethan Allen in Vermont are decent too.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 AM

Another question that I hope folks will see and can comment:

When shooting one Games event each in morning and afternoon at the Perry Nationals- is there reasonable downtime in between? I don't really see any type of a more detailed schedule posted and am more accustomed to the Travel Games that do have some detail in the schedule.

Time to grab a bit to eat in between? Time to check out the North Store? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2021, 01:55 PM

There is no real down time. As soon as you finish the morning event you get in line to squad for the afternoon. You need to pack a lunch and plenty of water.
You can expect to be on the range from 6 am until 4 or 5 pm if shooting am and pm.
I have done both a number of times, it makes for a long day, but very enjoyable.
Worst year was 2014 when it rained steady all morning and finally stopped around 1:30 pm.
Everything was wet....They only stop a match for lightning and thunder, or if the wind is so strong it pulls the targets off the frames...
I have seen both..
Still fun though!