Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 PM

Default Universal Carbine

I have a Universal Carbine that i inherited from my dad. I don't know much about it,other than it does shoot. Been reading this and other forum and I'm guessing Universal is not one of the best out there.
I would like to put a scope on. I have been doing some research on it and I am at at stall. I spoke with the folks at Nunrich and they informed me of a two piece scope mount.When I checked the left side of my receiver,I did not have the 4 holes to mount the scope mount. Anyone out there have any ideas.I really don't want to bring it to a gunsmith and have the holes drilled.I can not find any scope mount that works on my gun. Also i can not find any info on the Universal web site. My serial # begins with an L, I can't find that on the site either.Can anyone help? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:27 PM

If you've already got a scope you want to use in your possession then your choices for mounting an optic are limited.

I currently use a red dot which takes 1" diameter rings. I found an "obsolete" ('70's vintage) barrel mount made by B-SQUARE for less than $5 on GB which gives me a DIY "scout" configuration, which I like a lot. If you want to dump a bunch of money into the project, Ultimak makes a picatinny rail which mounts to the barrel in a similar fashion. Both are "reversible" in that neither require drilling holes, paying a gunsmith, etc. The B^2 mod however does require cutting a hole through a handguard, which is no big deal

HTH

For more info on Universal's scope accomodations see

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

As to the significance of your serial number, if the "L" is not simply a "1", you might email the author, Jim Mock, of this website

Last edited by meplat; 06-28-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 PM

Default Rear sight mount

There is a mount that replaces the rear sight look around u will find one
Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM

Pictures of the Carbine would help a lot . If your Universal is a Early rifle , it was made like a G.I.gun , using just one Spring for the slide . Later Universals used two springs for the slide , and most of their receivers were drilled for a left side scope mount . If you pull the Barreled/Receiver out of the stock , that will tell you if it's early or late . meplat's suggestion of the Ultimak rail , I think , is the best , strongest way I've ever put a scope on a Carbine . Bob
Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 PM

Later Universal, cut it up for scrap before it gets you first.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
Later Universal, cut it up for scrap before it gets you first.
As Jim Mock notes, the Universal with the GI style bolt had the same problems as all GI models did. The later design bolt changed to a spring loaded firing pin that solved that problem. But you do need to inspect the slide on a regular basis for cracking at the bolt slot. Not sure about the Iver Johnson made ones as mine was made here. Serial # 458XXX and still in safe, useable condition. It is drilled and tapped for the left side scope mount but has the plastic plate covering the holes. There are scope mounts that fit the slots for the rear sights available also.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob loughlin View Post
Pictures of the Carbine would help a lot .
^This^
Old 07-03-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Universal M1 Carbine.

I done some research on my Universal m1 carbine. I remove the barrel from the stock and this is what i found. Serial # start with 187XX..Aluminum trigger housing.........Left side of receiver has the number 15.....G.I slide handle. .......U.S.carbine cal.M1 appears on the receiver ring. .......Bayonet band..... Did not see any cracks on slide or anywhere else..........Have not removed the trigger assemble yet..............Not sure if i should...... Looking for any info on this gun.............year built......is it safe to shoot....... Is there anyway i can put a scope on it.........I have a Williams rear sight on it and a regular front sight...
Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
I done some research on my Universal m1 carbine. I remove the barrel from the stock and this is what i found. Serial # start with 187XX..Aluminum trigger housing.........Left side of receiver has the number 15.....G.I slide handle. .......U.S.carbine cal.M1 appears on the receiver ring. .......Bayonet band..... Did not see any cracks on slide or anywhere else..........Have not removed the trigger assemble yet..............Not sure if i should...... Looking for any info on this gun.............year built......is it safe to shoot....... Is there anyway i can put a scope on it.........I have a Williams rear sight on it and a regular front sight...
From the sounds of it, yours is not drilled and tapped on the left side. If you remove the rear sight, you can install a clamp on rail that locks into the dovetail slot.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Universal M1 Carbine

Thanks for your reply..........I did purchased that mount........does not fit. I do not have a hole under the rear sight to mount it.