Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2021, 01:04 PM

Default Replace recoil plate?

I have a mount ranier arsenal refinished Inland with mostly Inland parts. However the recoil plate is Saginaw. Forgive the possibly ignorant question, but is replacing the recoil plate an easy/wise change?

And what markings would an Inland recoil plate have? Or are they unmarked? How much would they go for? Thanks! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2021, 01:14 PM

Given no finish damage with yours, about an even trade. Just unscrew the screw and pull it forward with the receiver removed. Inland Recoil plates can be marked DI, PI, WI, and BI marked in different places. Where SGs recoil plates are marked on top.
If no one wants to trade, I will.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:19 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look and confirm (I don't believe there was any finish damage. It looked deceptively easy to swap out but just wanted to double check. BTW your white bag carbine is still looking nice in my safe! My new years resolutions is trying to find a nice M1 garand to join it. Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2021, 02:19 PM

And I thought you would want a few more "white bag" carbines by now. Compared to carbine prices now, they were a steal. They will soon be gone.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:02 PM

I am in the process of removing a seized and stripped recoil plate screw. How someone got it stuck is beyond me. If anyone has advice please share before I drill the screw out from the threaded end. Hoping to not damage the nut, but I can re-tap it.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:27 PM

The nut is a cheap part. Might try to drill off the head, then punch it out the bottom with the nut. Replace the recoil plate, bolt and nut. There are different thread sizes on the bolt. So make sure your new nut and bolt thread up before you assemble them.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
The nut is a cheap part. Might try to drill off the head, then punch it out the bottom with the nut. Replace the recoil plate, bolt and nut. There are different thread sizes on the bolt. So make sure your new nut and bolt thread up before you assemble them.
I'm worried about cracking the stock if i try to punch the nut out. It's in deep. My other 3 all sit about flush with the hole.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:59 PM

Had this happen a couple times. Like Roger said, try to drill-off the head. The danger is the bit catching the screw slot and spinning the escutcheon in itís pocket. That happens and you likely have to glue a new one in place. I found maybe the better way is to hold the screw in place at the head and drill it out from the threaded end. You will destroy the screw and escutcheon, but it wonít spin and you can then bump it out from the top with a punch after you get the screw out from the top. There is a way to protect the wood around the pocket to keep it from chipping, but thatís a longer detailed discussion. More than one way to skin the cat I suppose, but that has worked for me.

If you want to PM me I will explain what I do to pull the escutcheon.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 PM

You are right, many times the nut will chip the stock if removed.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:25 PM

I havenít been able to find a tap thatís the correct thread for the escutcheon nut. If you find one please post where got it.