Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2021, 06:57 PM

Default BRNO No.4 barrel tuning screw?

Last year I glommed a BRNO No.4 rifle in great shape. I've been getting it ready for a rimfire match and checked the barrel bedding to see if the barrel was free floating.

I hadn't noticed before, but the stock is made to cradle the barrel near the end of the stock, so it is definitely not free floating.

I also noted that there is some kind of screw in the front sling swivel assembly which appears to be some kind of tuning screw, possibly like the tuning screws in the Remington 40X stock.

Anyone know anything about that screw and how it is used?

Last edited by Calfed; 04-01-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:39 PM

It does appear to be a screw used to put upward pressure on the barrel with the intention of "tuning" the barrel for accuracy. Turning it clockwise would tend to tighten it.

I would shoot it as it is, using a bench rest, to see how it groups. Then, if you want to experiment, try tightening it or loosening it to see how it affects accuracy.

If your club or the match requires a free floating barrel be used, simply loosen the screw and check to see if you can work a dollar bill under the stock from front to back.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
It does appear to be a screw used to put upward pressure on the barrel with the intention of "tuning" the barrel for accuracy. Turning it clockwise would tend to tighten it.

I would shoot it as it is, using a bench rest, to see how it groups. Then, if you want to experiment, try tightening it or loosening it to see how it affects accuracy.

If your club or the match requires a free floating barrel be used, simply loosen the screw and check to see if you can work a dollar bill under the stock from front to back.

That sounds like a good plan.

I mounted a scope on the rifle, using a DPI rail. I'll report the results