Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Decision - which to buy .308/7.62 brass

OK, considering the lack of ammunition and in general components, as well as the likely hood of limited availability in the future which would you buy and for what reasons?

Armscor .308 Brass at $340.00 per thousand plus shipping (about $20)

Starline Brass .308 (LR) at $214 for 500, or $404 per thousand - shipping included but currently on backorder

LC 7.62 primed pulldown brass (w/sealant remaining) for $500 per thousand plus shipping (about $20). Note the primers are there and staked in place.
I have purchased this brass in the past for much less and there are occasional cases with neck damage from the bullet pull I assume.

I have primers, so that is a limited consideration at this time.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:10 PM

In priority sequence:
1) The primed unfired LC US GI brass. Known good brass and probably highest number of reload opportunities plus it is primed. Based on previous experience would ask for a damage off set plus up on their count.
2) Armscor because its in stock
3) Starline, Good experience w/ pistol brass reloading but its back ordered.

Airborne,
Mark
Old 05-05-2021, 03:07 PM

#1 Primed LC
#2 Starline
#3 Armscor

Go with the USGI primed brass, for sure. Good quality and you only have to remove the primer crimp once. Should last many firings. Also, try finding primers for 16 cents each these days ! (difference between 34 cent brass and 50 cent primed brass)
I have never been a fan of Armscor anything, but Starline has superb brass.
Just my 2 cents
Old 05-05-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtd66 View Post
#1 Primed LC
#2 Starline
#3 Armscor

Go with the USGI primed brass, for sure. Good quality and you only have to remove the primer crimp once. Should last many firings. Also, try finding primers for 16 cents each these days ! (difference between 34 cent brass and 50 cent primed brass)
I have never been a fan of Armscor anything, but Starline has superb brass.
Just my 2 cents
My opinion is exactly this. Current prices make it a hard pill to swallow but it is what it is.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:44 PM

mtd66 mirrors my preference of these 3 choices exactly (or do my preferences mirror mtd66?). LC is #1 just because, nothing wrong with Starline, be careful with #3.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:25 PM

LC Pulldown requires some minor extra work.
There is asphalt sealer in the necks and, usually, loose asphalt and powder kernels in the case.
I just twisted a nylon 45 caliber brush in the case to clean the loose stuff out.
The remaining asphalt didn't interfere with neck sizing. Remove the decapping pin or run the expander ball up in the cases so the pin won't contact the primer.
It did build up a mess on the expander ball and neck area of the die which had to be cleaned with brake parts cleaner or paint thinner after a few hundred. Dies need to be dismantled and cleaned once in while anyway.
Some will harp on getting all the asphalt out. I don't think it's worth the time unless you're shooting out past 300 yards. It probably makes neck tension inconsistent.
And no, the asphalt doesn't put a messy coat in your bore or anything like that. It didn't do it to the M16s, M14s, or M60s I had to clean in my youth and doesn't do it to my personal rifles now.
LC = more reloads per case.

Last edited by D the D; 05-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D the D View Post
LC Pulldown requires some minor extra work.
There is asphalt sealer in the necks and, usually, loose asphalt and powder kernels in the case.
I just twisted a nylon 45 caliber brush in the case to clean the loose stuff out.
The remaining asphalt didn't interfere with neck sizing. Remove the decapping pin or run the expander ball up in the cases so the pin won't contact the primer.
It did build up a mess on the expander ball and neck area of the die which had to be cleaned with brake parts cleaner or paint thinner after a few hundred. Dies need to be dismantled and cleaned once in while anyway.
Some will harp on getting all the asphalt out. I don't think it's worth the time unless you're shooting out past 300 yards. It probably makes neck tension inconsistent.
And no, the asphalt doesn't put a messy coat in your bore or anything like that. It didn't do it to the M16s, M14s, or M60s I had to clean in my youth and doesn't do it to my personal rifles now.
LC = more reloads per case.
This is exactly why I was hesitant to buy the LC. I have purchased this brass in the past and normally do remove the asphalt and resize and trim the cases before use. The process is time consuming and messy. Without removal, the expander ball and neck area of the die gums up significantly after a few cases, even after running a stainless steel brush in the neck. So I band about 20 cases together and soak them neck down in lacquer thinner to thin and help dissolve the asphalt, nylon brush them, and use what some may call an oversize q-tip to wipe out the rest. I can do 100 at a time, but it takes 20 minutes or more per batch. PITA so was reluctant to buy more work on top of the extra cost.

What I did do is ordered the LC and those are supposed to arrive today. I also ordered the Starline last night after the CPI was announced. As they are backordered, I've locked in the price, and my card does not get hit until they're ready to ship. This should last me my lifetime on top of current inventory.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:17 PM

Default Decision - which to buy .308/7.62 brass

I have brass back ordered since March 10th from starline. Donít hold your breath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyukx3fan View Post
I have brass back ordered since March 10th from starline. Donít hold your breath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I know Starline may take awhile. No big hurry ATM.
I had ordered some Starline brass from Creedmoor the end of November last year and it just arrived the end of April. Starline itself has a better turnaround time, and was less expensive.

Like I said, I ordered the brass from Starline to lock in the current price for whenever it shows up, as I just received the LC from American Marksman. Prices have been steadily rising on brass in just the last six months, if you can get it. Not as bad as primers though.

If you can afford it, and see a long term need, invest in precious metals, and I'm not talking gold or silver.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:34 AM

A couple of months is NOTHING.

The previous shortage of components, I ordered a case of Hornady 55 gr FMJ.

It took something like 18 MONTHS to get delivered. I had forgotten I ordered it, and had NO idea what that flat box was.

Until I picked it up (HEAVY) and saw the Hornady name.