Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Default **Update** Fake CMP Collector Grades

I am posting this message today as a warning to all collectors of the M1 Garand rifle.

In my years of collecting the M1 Garand, I have purchased several CMP Collector Grade Rifles. Some of these rifles were purchased directly from the CMP, but others were purchased through private individuals. I recently requested serial number verification letters on a couple of rifles that had "CMP" paperwork that was unlike any of my other certificates. When I received the letters, I was disappointed to learn that neither rifle was what it was supposed to be. Through further investigation, it was determined that the certificates were fake, and that the customers and customer numbers listed on the certificates did not exist.

If any of you have purchased a rifle that came with "CMP" paperwork that looks like this, I strongly suggest that you request a CMP verification letter.

http://s601.photobucket.com/user/rh2...%20Certificate

Also, I have no interest in mentioning a name on the forum. My intent is only to alert those who have purchased what they thought were CMP Collector Grade rifles and received a certificate like this as documentation.

**Updated Information**
As mentioned before, if any of you have a certificate that closely resembles the one posted above, I suggest you request a CMP verification letter. However, it has come to our attention that there is a way to give you an initial indication that your certificate is fake. At the top of the posted certificate you will see the code, R100052046. This is an order number that is specific to THAT TRANSACTION ONLY, and no two numbers should be the same. On all four of the known fake certificates, this number is exactly the same. If you have a suspect certificate with that number at the top, there is a very high probably that your certificate and rifle are fake.
Once again, I sincerely hope that no one else discovers that they have a fake certificate and/or misrepresented rifle, but I feel the responsibility to pass on this new information that may at least help you make an initial determination.

Last edited by marcus8; 02-22-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Did CMP ever use similar paperwork re other grades or types of rifles? I.e., could such paperwork be legit in some cases?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Yes back in 90s you had to send a signed copy back to the cmp.That paper looks like it but it hard see the detail.

Last edited by OSU1986; 02-19-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM

I have paperwork similar to that from early 2000. I will look when I get home tonight.

Iraq/Afghanistan 03-04
Iraq JAN-NOV 2011
Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Anything can and will be faked if there is money to be made.
There are fake gold coins (very hard to counterfeit) made by the Omega man that he signed each gold coin but most coin dealers/collectors would never know they had a fake.
http://altereddimensions.net/2012/om...-counterfeiter

Nothing like fake authentic paperwork to fool someone and it can happen to anyone.
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Years ago that form was standard with many rifles shipped by the CMP. I have one that came with a SA purchased back in 2000. it is a simple form and would be pretty easy to fake by just making copies and then inserting information as needed. That form served as your receipt, there was no shipping invioce as we now know it back in those days.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Fake CMP collector Grades

I have several CMP Collector Grades from 2000 and there is nothing stating Collector Grade on the paper work just the price of $750.00.The paper work looks nothing like the photos of yours
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Looks identical to this one:

Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 PM

MTC29, thank you for posting a legitimate certificate/invoice. It does look nearly identical to the fake one I provided. My hope is that this is not a huge problem and that there are not many more "fake" rifles like this out there. I am, however, not naive enough to think I'm the only one.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM

I am unfortunate and fortunate at same time. I found out yesterday that the one CG in my possession and the one CG I was in process of buying both have the same fake certificates. Different names, false addresses and customer numbers. I contacted the seller today and he agreed to refund my money and was advised about the other CG. I dont believe the seller in my case forged these documents but someone prior to him. I agree with OP to get a letter from CMP stating its real. Brightside if there is, I found out the one IHC I have was a DCM gun
Closed Thread