Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2020, 03:06 PM

Default Hunting my Dad's M1 Carbine by serial number

Hello and thanks for letting me into the group.

I am sure you all can share with my regret when I explain my story. When I was 18 or so, my parents moved and my father asked me if I wanted his M1. I was in college and had no place to store it so I passed. I have very few regrets but this one haunts me. My father retired from the Marine Corps with 28 years and passed on about 5 years ago.. My Uncle was WIA at Chosin Reservoir and spent the rest of his years teaching Chinese History from a wheel chair....

Anyway, I would love to track this rifle down and if nothing else provide a bit of history to the owner and if possible purchase it. I know it was an Inland and i do have the serial number.

I know it is a needle in a haystack but I enjoy the hunt. Thanks in advance and appreciate any assistance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by scotty dive; 09-30-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Post the number here. Who knows maybe somebody has it.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:20 PM

Inland Division Serial number: 6841484

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by scotty dive; 09-28-2020 at 06:43 AM. Reason: CORRECTION OF incorrect serial number post
Old 09-24-2020, 04:28 PM

Scotty

Be real cautious of offers to sell you that Carbine.

Get lots of pictures, and vet the seller. Easy to do here in the forum.

Don't send money sight unseen and check with others first.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 09-24-2020, 06:25 PM

Scotty Welcome to the CMP forum.
Using the search: Inland M1 Carbine serial number 6841481
I just tried a Advanced search on (page 1) of the Sticky at the top of the carbine forum titled:
' M1/M2 Carbine serial Number' thread with no results.
I've also tried a Google search along with searching other carbine forums, again no hits. Including search reviews on books. Even tried Auction sites going back about 6 months with no luck. Also Worthpoint- no results.

I see that Completed Rock Island Auctions can now be searched 1 at a time by clicking on PAST AUCTIONS, it will give you a list back to 2009:
https://www.rockislandauction.com/gun-auctions

Might be similar set up with Julia's and Poulins. Others here may know of other big auction houses.

Your serial number falls in the range where M2's were also being made.
Do you recall seeing the receiver marked M1 ?
Any mention by your Father on how he sold it?
About what year and where was he located when he sold or traded the Carbine?
Any chance it was donated to the CMP, they might have a record of having/selling it.
Someone here could tell you who you could contact @ CMP sales/Research.

My last thought would be if the Carbine Club ever had a 'Data Sheet' sent in by a new owner.
With your permission I will ask if they have a Data Sheet on file for this carbine.
So get back to me on this. I can also link your post so they know the background story.

My Carbine addiction started when my Father became sick. As kids I'd drag my buddies in and show them Dad's War Gun in the case. I'd heard the story a million times on how with the help of 2 Australian friends it was smuggled off the ship. But it wasn't until his days were numbered that I took it out and learned about it. So I feel for you.

Also want to Thank your Family for their service.

VR,
Charlie-Painter777

Last edited by painter777; 09-24-2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: trying to make sense
Old 09-25-2020, 02:22 PM

Gentleman. Thank you for assistance with this info and I will be very careful and do my best to vet any future transaction. I teach my children from a Ben Franklin saying that goes " In a horse trade either know the man or the horse". I have not seen that weapon for over 30 years so my memory is faded at best. All of this was way before I had my own collection and understood firearms. I have always believed it was an M1 but I dont remember the markings. This search was all resurrected when I was reviewing some documents in a paper file labeled Guns. There in my mothers handwriting was the inventory and serial numbers of the rifles he also had, a Brescia, a Springfield 1903, a Misc Japanese rifle, and a Remington New Model Civil War era revolver. Her exact notes are: "Carbine M30 (caliber 30) inland division, Serial No: 6841484". I am assuming the Japanese rifle had markings she could not translate. I do have the Remington Revolver, but its the Carbine that was his and his history.

I was not involved with the sale of these but my best guess knowing my father is he did not sell them to an individual but probably went to a local gun dealer in the Monmouth County New Jersey area and sold them. Just an educated guess though. That would have been late 1988 or 1989.

You (Charlie and all others) have my permission to do any searches on my behalf and I thank you in advance for your time and effort - it is truly appreciated.

***** Just want to add this. If someone on this board or another forum happens to be that needle in the haystack and has this rifle, please, do not feel that you need to sell or part with this weapon in anyway. It was sold fair and square and thats that. It would just be cool to know where it ended up and felt the owner might like to know where it came from and why it was in pristine condition!

Last edited by scotty dive; 09-25-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:08 PM

scotty,
I've started a new topic on the CCC.
Will take some time for replies.
Maybe... We'll get lucky.
The more Carbine forums you list your story on the better the odds.

Link: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...356.html#37356

Any chance you have a old picture of your Father with his Carbine?

Charlie-P777
Old 09-25-2020, 03:12 PM

@ scotty, in post #2 you list the serial # as 6841481 but in post #6 you typed 6841484? Which serial # is correct?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:13 PM

It would help to know your location.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:24 PM

@ Grits,

From post #6 above:

"probably went to a local gun dealer in the Monmouth County New Jersey area and sold them. Just an educated guess though. That would have been late 1988 or 1989."

Ch-P777