Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2019, 10:35 AM

Default Which Grade?

The wife's RNG number is approaching. Are we correct in assuming that Service Grade will probably be a 1911a1 fresh from rebuild?

Field Grade will probably be the same fresh rebuild with some minor flaw(s)?

Rack Grade might be a fresh rebuild with more minor flaws, or it might be a serviceable weapon not recently rebuilt and show wear signs?

I have read the CMP description of the grades:

"Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.
Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.
Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts."

What she would like is an older, possibly 1911, with honest wear and not a cookie cutter fresh parked weapon.

How have the grades received actually panned out????
Old 12-29-2019, 11:03 AM

What I received fit the upper end of the description for a service grade. It was not a fresh, stamped rebuilt for which I am thankful. What I received had been rebuilt to some degree since it have replacement barrel and replacement grips but nothing was stamped on the frame or slide indication such.

I would not assume they will be fresh rebuilds. Assume it will match the CMP description of grades.

Your best chance for receiving a 1911, I my opinion only, would be to select a field grade or a rack grade but that's no guarantee you will receive what you are looking for.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:56 AM

the best examples I've seen so far have been field and rack grades. that's not to say that I haven't seen some service grades that I would love to own. never the less, I think one would have a better chance at getting an original finish using those 2 options. if I were in the running for one, I would probably choose a field grade, but I would definitely be tempted to take my chances with a rack grade. best of luck to you! look forward to seeing what you get!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:03 PM

I got a Field Grade and it was a 1913 Colt frame, a 1918 barrel, and 1943 Remington Rand slide with a lot of other 1943ish RR parts. There are no rebuild stamps anywhere, but it has been, maybe twice. The parkerization had no wear inside or out like it sat in the armory since rebuild. The frame has pitting around the grips and side from being carried wet in a holster probably with no time to take care of it properly (WW1?). Perfect balance between character and a nice tight aesthetically pleasing looking weapon.

At first I was a little disappointed the slide and frame did not match, but the more I learn about these 1911s the more I appreciate what I have now in my posession. Glad we got a chance to participate in this program and they were not just melted down into slag!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:03 PM

I wanted a pistol with some wear, I think the SG pistols over all are extremely nice, I chose a FG based on what people were receiving at the time, rolled the dice and it paid off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n5nhQHuEtu4upyJU8

Greg
Old 12-29-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ds4me View Post
I wanted a pistol with some wear, I think the SG pistols over all are extremely nice, I chose a FG based on what people were receiving at the time, rolled the dice and it paid off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n5nhQHuEtu4upyJU8

Greg
congrats! that's one of the nicer one's I've seen.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:26 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

My service grade was a rebuild,but not recently (in my opinion). It's a 1919 frame completely updated to A1 (except for frame grooves). I'm guessing after being rebuilt at Ogden,it made it's way into the museum system. The museum guns seem to be real wild cards in terms of condition/rebuild.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:43 AM

i would not have your hopes up for receiving a 1911..... my gut tells me that cmp received most of those 1911's by way of the museum guns they were given as part of the 1st batch...... it seemed like everyone towards the end of the 1st batch was getting 1911's...... i hate speculating BUT i would think chances of getting one now are much smaller......

my wife selected service grade and it was a beautiful (reparked) RR frame and slide...... seeing hers i selected a field grade because i figured i had a better chance (at least in my mind) of getting a more "been there done that looking gun" and i got lucky and revieved an ithaca with original finish on the fram (it had obviously been rebuilt at some point)...... but the thing to remember is everything you hear from people on this forum is anecdotal evidence...... if your torn my suggestion is go with field grade and im sure you will be happy with your pistol.......
Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 AM

I received a Field Grade that is very nice externally, but the bore is awful. I've heard of people speak of barrels that were a "sewer pipe". This is what came to mind when I saw this bore and in my opinion it is not in issuable condition, nor does it have minor rust or pitting like the description of Field Grade says.

Just something for you to be aware of should you choose Field Grade. Field and Rack were my only options. For those of you that might suggest it, I already contacted the CMP, sent the barrel to them and they said it meets Field Grade spec. They are sending it back on January 6th when they resume shipping after the holidays. This is the first bad experience I have had with the CMP and the only reason I've ever had to request something be made right.

On the positive side, it is a Flannery barrel and could possibly be original to the Ithaca frame. I'll still be looking for a replacement barrel.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:10 PM

Default 1911

I received a very nice rack grade.. Only option offered. No rust, no pitting.. No regrets. Thanks to Bear Pack here on the forum he told me it was a 1918 Colt. Its a mix master with the AA rebuild stamp.. Its very cool...