Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Camp Butner Museum, NC. Worth seeing, needs help.

Hi all
After shooting in the CMP Eastern Games at Camp Butner, NC., I headed for the "Camp Butner Museum". It was only scheduled to be open ONE day a month, and it was the "first Saturday of the month". Lucky me.

I had trouble finding it with GPS, until I put in "Soldiers Memorial Sports Arena". That worked.

It is MORE than a "road side" museum. Lots of cool relics and info about the Camp and its history. I got a "guided tour" by a retired Army Vietnam war veteran. He shared stories I won't share here, I can't do them justice.

FWIW: Camp Butner was BIGGER than Ft. Benning during the war, trained thousands of troops, and housed German and Italian POW's during the war.

I suggested that they expand there hous during the CMP Eastern Games, and "advertise" with the CMP. They thought that was a great idea!

There where a few small arms on display- a K98 Mauser, a Lee-Enfield, and two Lugers. I saw a distinct LACK of US weapons, particularly a M1 Garand and M1903A3! Can the CMP donate one of each to this little museum? I hope so!

I encourage my fellow shooters to check them out next time you shoot at Camp Butner, NC, home of the CMP Eastern games.

Camp Butner Society
PO Box 412
Butner, NC 27509

Call Michael for more info at" (919) 247-8003

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.

Last edited by rubicon762; 05-09-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Banned

Can't help with weapons contribution , but could probably hit them up with a few $ ...
Old 05-09-2021, 02:12 PM

I'd like to see the CMP donate a couple rifle's to them.
Even lower cost "Drills" would look good on display.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:54 PM

There is an organization within the government that supplies weapons to military museums. I can't recall the name of that organization but it is not the CMP. It is very possible that someone at the CMP can point you in the right direction
Old 05-10-2021, 06:27 AM

The Army is looking to thin out the redundant items from their museum warehouses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...ing-artifacts/
Old 05-10-2021, 07:20 AM

Does the Army supply artifacts for museums other than those in the Army museum system?
Old 05-14-2021, 11:08 AM

Do you have an address for this place?

Been going to Butner several times a year for more than a decade and never heard of it.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Do you have an address for this place?

Been going to Butner several times a year for more than a decade and never heard of it.
Yes. This will get you there faster:

Soldiers Memorial Sports Arena
416 24th street
Butner, NC 27509

The museum is attached to the arena.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 AM

I called the phone number today, and sent them some info via snail mail.

It would be cool if this donation happened.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:31 PM

Those of you that have read my book, UNLIKELY WARRIOR, A Small Town Boy's View of WWII, will maybe remember that I was stationed there at the end of WWII and had some unusual adventures there.